Sunday, March 5

so much

So far:

Friday: Walk The Line, which has familial resonance for me. Sometimes melodramatic, but Witherspoon was convincing as June Carter and the music was delicious. Have been singing "Cocaine Blues," "Get Rhythm," and "That's All Right, Mama" all weekend.

Saturday: Kiki Smith (oh, swoon, sigh, thank you for coming to Minneapolis and making up for my idiotic neglect of your show in Venice this summer) at the Walker. My favorite piece, "Blue Girl" (1998), is here (click and see!) for now. Breath-taking, completely inspiring. Kiki Smith makes me want to live. Later: Sewing with a pal. New design for a skirt! Dark blue thin denim. Inside hem is vintage kimono fabric in a very open plaid of navy, green, brown, and cream. Then: a movie (again!). Love, Ludlow. Trying to be Amélie, maybe, but still lovely in moments. Made me want to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind again, soon. Maybe this week. Embroidered, sashiko-style, all around the hems and seams during the movie. Made 麻の葉 (asanoha: hemp-leaf design that looks like stars) on the skirt, too.

Today: Finished another skirt in same pattern. Orange with celery-colored Dupioni silk waistband. Pleased and surprised by mastery of hidden zipper. (!!) And, at my parents', serged beginnings of four more skirts. Can't wait for break! Sewing all the time!

I also have a few ideas I want to solidify and then talk about--to do with the last post here, to do with sisterhood, and teaching, and (word I hate) sharing--and also I have new birdies and similar good things in the works. I imagine I will put the birds up early next week, and I'll give notice here first, so if you're wanting one, be on the watch.

Now: time for a glass of tea (well, tisane, really), and reading my book for class tomorrow, and continued addiction to the song "Fix You" by Coldplay, which I just discovered this weekend. Why didn't anyone alert me to its demi-miraculous existence? Also: watched the crows all morning, walking around on the next-door roof. They are so smart and beautiful.

5 Comments:

Blogger lisa solomon said...

wow you are a busy busy girl...

can i just say that kiki does it for me too.... saw the show here at sfmoma... and i've heard her talk too... she is just as funny and circular and risky when she talks as she makes...

looking forward to what is brewing!

1:24 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Your skirts are very sweet! I love the use of ribbon for a waistband. Fabulous.

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love both of these--wonderful post.

1:27 PM  
Blogger eireann said...

anon: The sound of it has always bothered me. And the way it's be misused: "Do you want to share?" I like the idea, just not the specific word.

Why do you comment anonymously?

10:21 AM  
Blogger natasha said...

gorgeous. mind blowing. and i loooove kiki smith.

www.luxefibre.com

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home