Sunday, February 26

bara spring collection: shoes


u.s. size 7; at design collective


u.s. size 7; at design collective


u.s. size 6; at design collective

------------------------

I have 10 pairs altogether and have plans for shoes featuring birds, strawberries, more pomflowers, printing, knitting, etc. Not sure whether I'll have them in my shop or just in local stores.

There are two fashion shows coming up--one rather major one that I was asked to be in and then a smaller one likewise--and so I made a trip to the Very Frightening Fabric Warehouse. The people there are of very different politics than I, and this can be uncomfortable, but everything is half-off all the time. I got taffetas and satins from the 1950s, some really beautiful Nanette Lepore fabric, a whole bunch of sheer lycra mesh (for camisoles), dupioni silk the color of celery.... I can't wait to get started on the clothes for these shows (which will also, conveniently, be part of my summer line).

In other clothing news, I've finally gotten good at screening onto fabric and have made some patches of the Valentine's Day print to put onto things. I also ordered 10 American Apparel shirts (hurrah for wholesale!) and I've made screens for them. They're candy blue and candy pink and will have printing and embellishments on them. That's on the fire for the next couple of weeks.

Have also been: knitting a basket, working on mixed-media prints, dying yarn (see it on flickr!), reading On Beauty by Zadie Smith, attending master classes with the most excellent David Treuer, finishing my manuscript, selling things left, right, and center, and apparently enjoying these successes to a completely impolitic degree. Oh dear. I'm also, and less selfishly, enjoying Lotte Klaver's sketchlog, Open Yours Too, and Mulysa's plant-a-day blog (as well as all the links in the sidebar, which I visit with impunity). Oh, and go over to pillow vs. pincushion and scroll down and check out the amazing hats I can't stop daydreaming about.

21 Comments:

Blogger sleep said...

I must delurk for this post. Those shoes are wonderful, I adore them.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

amazingly beautiful shoes. i can't believe you made those! <33

7:26 PM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

phew you are a busy busy gal!

the shoes are really charming... and i'm dying to see the 50's fabric? and the new t's.... :)

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazing - i love them, love the colors and everything!

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh for goddess sake girl, they are absolutely beautiful! and i haven't even finished reading the post as i was in such a rush to comment...

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

like works of art for your feet. :) and wow, you are busy!

how do you like on beauty? i have a looong hold on it at the library; i'm curious to hear if it's good.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

thank you for all of the lovely compliments - i too daydream about your designs and look forward to reading your new posts. i would love to do a trade for anything ohbara - everthing you make is so beautiful, it would be hard to decide!!!

xo,
sue

p.s. i added you to my links, i hope you don't mind!

7:49 AM  
Blogger eireann said...

wow, wow, wow! thank you all for such sweet compliments! this is really the way to start a monday. :)

j--i did like on beauty a good deal. it's a good story, but it's also a neat conceptual experiment.

s-!!excellent!! i'm excited. we'll figure it out. and thanks for the add to your links. i'll add your blog as well--have been meaning to, but i'm so slow these days at the small tasks.

thanks again, everyone!!

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fabulous idea! I like especially the first ones

9:31 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

So cute Eireann, I especially love the pink ones*

2:03 PM  
Blogger eireann said...

m--no, bought the shoes and sewed on them. i, too, search for a cobbling class to no avail.

!!!!! about the buttons and trim.

yes, sr harris. it is CRAZY. i didn't even GLANCE at the trim section this time...wow.

we should get together at tea garden or similar sometime soon. i'm longing for a crafty meetup. in fact, i am just going to email you + martha NOW about this.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Mara Fitch said...

The shoes are lovely and sweet, I love them. The colors and the details (beading, pom poms, bows) all work so well together.

8:34 PM  
Blogger laura r. said...

oh!
what a nice, nice blog.
thank you.

9:24 PM  
Blogger eireann said...

thank you!

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly I walk like a duck in ballet flats or I would try everything to get my hands on the pink puffy flower pair. So so beautiful!

12:55 AM  
Blogger eireann said...

Anke--ha! but I shouldn't laugh. I don't think many people walk well in them! No support, so the ankles get floppy. But thank you for the sweet compliment. :)

9:05 AM  
Blogger eireann said...

mamayaga- yes, there will be more spring surprises up here! i'm thinking of making a few more birds, but i'm not sure whether i've tapped out my market here! ;) i'll also be posting the tshirts here eventually and those may be up for sale, too, depending on response. :)

thank you for the compliments!

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found my blog, because it led me to yours! I can't believe how beautiful your creations are. Absolutely amazing!

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ack!! those are amazing!! can i pleaes have some size 9's with a birds on them? i am serious. you are so talented.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DID YOU MAKE THOSE?
wow!!
That is SOOO cool
Too many caps in this comment I know...
v

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE THESE SHOES!!!

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home