Wednesday, June 28

taos, i hardly knew ye

Back from the West, I can finally understand why people keep moving there. Why, indeed, one of my best friends (and her fiancé-cum-husband) moved to New Mexico. It is an enchanted land; it is temperate and intemperate at once, it is bigger than any place I had imagined before. I was charmed by its loveliness and moved by its richness and poverty.

I also found what may be the best fabric store in the world, Common Thread, in Taos. They carry things I've never seen all in one store: Marimekko, chirimen, Indian cottons, Guatemalan wovens, really unusual silks and velvets, a HUGE assortment of vintage and new buttons, about 2000 kinds of ribbon (okay, maybe more like 500, but an array the likes of which I've never seen otherwheres), as well as made textiles from around the world--everything from saris to kimonos to Hmong quilting. And the store itself is beautiful as well.

I did, of course, bring some things home; you can see more photos here, with notes to tell you all about them. And there are most certainly works in progress, but I am still in the middle of the biggest one, (not to mention the impending SPC; please come if you're in the cities/surrounding area!) and so it will be a while before I can take photos and post. Alas. Alack.

There is a huge fly buzzing around in here, but it is still good to be back.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely and fun!! Welcome Home!

1:31 AM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

welcome back! isn't it amazing when you find a treasure like that store???

looking foward to new goodies whenever you can get to posting them!

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay!!! I'm glad your home!!!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

welcome back! that store looks fabulous. can't wait for more photos!

1:19 PM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

welcome home. that store sounds dangerously fun!

1:38 PM  
Blogger laura capello said...

My parents bought some land between Taos and Santa Fe, and the visit every year. They really love it there, I can't wait to experience it myself.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

I was born in New Mexico. Although, not in an artsy town such as Taos. No, I'm afraid my birth city was Roswell, of alien fame---(insert here one of those party favors that sound like a kazoo when you blow on it with a crumpled paper 'tongue' that rolls out, trying hard to be exciting.) Truly though, I have very fond memories of visiting there growing up.

That fabric store looks and sounds like a dream!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

welcome back!

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home