Monday, May 22

insides















A while ago, Meranie asked to see the insides of the skirts I make--to get an idea of how they're made, see the process as well as the product. She knows my skittishness about this, but I agree that the underneath matters--is sometimes as interesting as the outside.

That's the hope, at least, right?

And it's been on my mind to write about why I blog, as per the question posed by Lisa (of the new Underdog Ink shop--have you been there yet? The coral-bell earrings are mine!).

And then Blair went ahead and posted this thoughtful analysis of her own practise.

Dawbis, too, is thinking about what the 'point' to all this is. And it all came together--it's not just about the outsides, after all, this blog.

But that's what I thought, when I began. I thought it would be about my shop, a way to get the word out and very little else. I felt shy of opening up to strangers. I didn't want to presume that my ordinary life would be interesting to anyone. So I blogged, at first, as a sub-action of making a shop.

I generally feel like an outsider, but I compound this by disdaining, in the Groucho-Marxian tradition, the clubs that will have me as a member. So I assumed, from the beginning, that I wasn't part of the circle, that I wasn't going to make friends. And then I began to 'meet' people , and they have been some of the dearest presences in my daily life.

I still blog to show what I've made and to talk, a little, about what I'm thinking. But now I feel much more in conversation with other women, and it's not so lonely. It's more about the insides, if you see what I mean.

I want to write about making by hand and how that fits in with everything but I imagine this is plenty for today.

11 Comments:

Blogger Meranie said...

That is so, so beautiful.

When I'm knitting something, I count on their being a right and wrong side... the wrong side meaning I can have mistakes or sew in the ends and it can be found if you look carefully... but not on the front. But with your work, you make everything **perfect** on both sides... it's like that skirt wants to be reversible.

I don't know what to say... but I feel extremely lucky that you share things, insights, pictures, words, crafts with me (and others, of course).

8:14 PM  
Blogger majamom said...

Conversing with other creative women just ROCKS! I have been so inspired and invigorated by the many talent women like yourself who share your creative works , processes and lives. It is a huge piece of what is missing in our busy modern world . I just found some wonderful trim for the Swap on my Monday thrift Run! =)

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing this, and you're totally right... the inside is such an important part of the process - whatever that might be.

9:54 PM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

oh sweet eireann.... there is a tear in my eye. yes the insides are quite important, and you have made mine melt just now. lovely sentiments and thoughts... thank you so much for sharing... and for participating. truly it feels like an honor to call you my friend! xo

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post, and a brilliant analogy. I'm finding it fascinating how blogs evolve into one thing or another. Alicia/Posygetscosy, recently said in a post that sooner or later, our true selves start to shine through on our blog. That and your post make me realize even more that our 'inside' is destined to come through in some form.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Abigail A. Percy said...

Beautiful post..I feel *glad* I stopped by to read it! xx

5:23 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

such beautiful words eireann, and they ring so true... you are a treasure x

7:00 PM  
Blogger Cecilia A.E said...

hi!
that beautiful photo!

thanks for your comment in my blog.
:)

11:48 PM  
Blogger Cecilia A.E said...

the design of your site "ohbara" is VERY BEAUTIFUL!!!

cecilia
http://afonsoesteves.blogspot.com/
(contemporary jewellery)

12:18 AM  
Blogger punkinpieproductions said...

Very well said.
My "insides" compliment the beauty of your "insides".
I love the fact that there are others out there similar to myself. Even if not with in a 60 mile radius that I can converse with.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, your words ring true for me too. i love that you put stuff in your skirts to make them poofy. must make getting dressed such fun. big hugs.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home