Thursday, December 21

keeping out the cold, darlin'

window snake: the

I love that patchwork takes things I didn't think would work together and magically reconciles them, showing me the liasons between them I didn't see before. Here's my new 'window snake'--thingy full of rice for blocking the draft at my window. Keeping the cold out.

I tend to think (and speak) in non-sequiturs (only they do sequit, just not outside of my head always). Patchwork feels warm to me. Feels...not just homey, but--careful? In the way of someone really caring for you feels. One of the practical things I brought to France was the quilt my mom made for me when I was little. There's warmth, and there's warmth.

window snake looking glamorous

And from now on the days will be getting longer, and eventually there won't be a need for things like window-snakes or tea cosies, but they are good fun to make in the meantime.

tea cosy 2

If you're waiting for a shop update--I'm sorry, I've been working on custom orders, a trade lonnnnnng in the making, and something for the Kim Family Auction. But I'm expecting to do a big update with three or so travel wallets, French flea-market finds, a tea-cosy or two (maybe) and clothing (maybe!), in the second week of January. For now, there are a few mercerie items. You know where to find them, if you're into that sort of thing.

And to all a good night.

14 Comments:

Blogger sleep said...

Oh goodie! I lovelove your wallets. Need!

6:53 PM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

love what you say about patchwork and careful....

and as a fellow lover of non-sequiturs... i think i know where you are coming from... or i flatter myself that i do!

big hugs!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Pretty patterns on that window snake. The colors are so cheery.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Casey Maura said...

Oh my! I love that tea cozy! Reminds me I must make one for my mother sometime...

Btw: that little print you used on the cozy is so cute; mind sharing the source? :)

9:00 AM  
Blogger hannah said...

love love, and merry christmas to you sweet eireann!

11:51 AM  
Blogger eireann said...

thanks, all!

lisa-- xo. right on.

casey: i got it on superbuzzy, but i'm not sure that they have any more. (http://www.superbuzzy.com--good luck!)

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful newness... those fabrics! Oh!

See you in the new year... may 2007 bring you much good cheer and many small & beautiful, happy moments.

take care, g

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love how you wrote that THEY'RE WARM AND THEY'RE WARM... lovely.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Delphine said...

merry Christmas to you!

3:06 PM  
Blogger shari said...

hi eireann,
i love all of your creations and your thoughts about patchwork. looking forward to your shop update. hope you enjoyed the holidays. xo shari

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your patchwork snake is beautiful + cozy. And I love what you created for the auction...so lovely.

1:24 AM  
Blogger Kristen Doran said...

Hi there,

You left a comment about swapping for some of my fabric - happy to do that if you are still interested?
Kristen

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful site. Im so glad to have found it. love your fabric choices.

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about these snakes lately but - rather than keeping the cold air out, its about keeping the sound in. I am thinking that one of these fellows might temper the sound of my suaghter's new drum set even if just a wee bit ...

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home