Friday, December 8

oh là là

Did you know that the UNIFORM Studio shop is open? And of course everything there is beautiful--Martha makes amazing clothing and accessories. Hats and booties, sweaters, little dresses and skirts, those huge-dot bags (which I love), wrist-cuffs. I feel lucky to know Martha in real life, to live near her (well, back in the States, anyway). She is so smart and funny and gentle and creative. Exactly the kind of person I want to be around. And I remember when she wasn't sure about having a blog or a shop, and I am so glad (and I bet a lot of other people are, too), that she does.
And then there's this lovely necklet, from windowsill's shop. I love the thick-thin yarn and the soft greys, and the contrast of the smooth ribbon to the pebbly knitted surface. There is so much beauty out there. You barely have to look for it.
This painting is one of Brian's. I feel lucky to have someone like him as an example, because he is really about art-making. He isn't that invested in what other people think about his work (I mean the paintings and prints, not the letterpress). He has a project, he has ideas, and he does it. He takes criticism beautifully. He doesn't think about whether it will sell, which is sometimes a sticking point for me when I make clothing. It's nice, too, to be able to teach him about business (he had a really successful day at No-Coast, so thanks to anyone who went!) and it's lovely to watch his business grow. (I think he's planning to have a shop up sometime in the next 2 weeks). It makes me so happy when people can support themselves doing what they love.

All these people are inspiration to work harder, push my ideas further, see what else I can do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mama Urchin said...

I am so happy Martha has posted her shop. My kids are going to look so cute in her clothes. And I love Brian's painting, he's very talented.

6:19 AM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

so true... you are an inspriation too!!
xo

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I can't wait for Brian's online shop. And I too have fallen in love with Martha's wonderful design aesthetic! Now I have two friends to visit next time in Minnesota! =)

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. This is such a beautiful post. The grey wool against the satin ribbon...the painting...the little girl's jumper dress. They made me feel glad to be alive - thanks.

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home