Sunday, December 17

everywhere

I'm finding beautiful things everywhere these days. Beauty in finding my stride here--figuring out what I need to do to keep myself reasonably happy. Learning (every day) to live now, not to sacrifice the present to a suppositious future (to paraphrase John Dewey again).
I just read Sula, by Toni Morrison. It is one of the most beautiful and disturbing books I've read. Her mastery of fiction--it blows me away. I can't even conceive of how you'd go about writing a novel (I joke that I write poems because I don't have the attention span for fiction, but it's kidding on the square, and 'attention span' might be a question of discipline). The characters are complete, they are real. Everything is precise and necessary. I aspire to write so well. If you have the money, buy this book. If not, borrow it from the library.
Yesterday I went to Strasbourg again, and I bought an ungodly number of little, red, spun-cotton mushrooms for mercerie packets. The city is so luminous: it shines with lights, with three or four languages being spoken at once, with whitewash between blackened boards. If I could live in France again, I would choose to live in Strasbourg. Who knows--maybe I will.

Beauty here, too, and here, and here, and here, and here. And here. And here. And here.

And thank you again for your compliments on the poem.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found Josh Ritter myself. Bought an entire album after listening to one song.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should try to get to Kayserberg and Colmar. It's like stepping into a beautifully illustrated version of your favorite fairy tale. In Colmar all the half-timbered buildings are painted lovely deep pastel shades and a river winds through the town. The streets are cobbled and there is great dining!

Kayserberg has a wonderful crafty Xmas market. I bought so many cute things, including giant gingerbread men shaped like Alsatian girls with the flying nun head-dresses. Try the Fischer beer which comes in bottles you should save, they are so pretty. I love the Dorelei beer (also brewed by Fischer) which is kind of spicy and is served in beautiful glasses at the places I went to in Strasbourg and Colmar. I tried to buy the glasses from the bistro. Luckily I found the glasses packaged for Xmas together with the beer at Cora, the grocery chain. My husband had a lot of beer to drink, so I could bring home a set of the glasses!!

I know how strange it can be to live in a different culture. But at least you are in a part of the world where they really know how to have a beautiful Christmas! Enjoy the visual feast!

9:07 PM  
Blogger shari said...

don't you love it when you see beauty everywhere? :) thanks for sharing your list. i've been to strasbourg once and it was so very nice. cheers! shari

9:42 PM  
Blogger hannah said...

ah eireann, thank you for sharing all the beauty you see with us, and that lovely poem, blogger was not letting me comment. just what i needed the other day.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you found the most delicious chocolate shop ever in Strasbourg?

And I hope you find some time one day to go to Belfort and see Ronchamp by Le Corbusier. It's a trully moving and spiritual place, especially when covered in snow.

Enjoy your french christmas (I am insanely jealous!).

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life sounds beautifully romantic for you, I'm so glad. Just the other day, I looked at those sweet ornaments on my tree from you, last year, and smiled. Having those special little things on my tree from friends makes me so happy.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

strasbourg is so lovely... thank you for sharing the photos with the lights, so beautiful!
and your designs are delightful on the boiled art press. we just love them!

6:21 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Ahhhh..love Toni Morrison. I just finished reading jazz. I also got it out of the library on CD and it was good the second time. I struggled through the first few chapters but then it came full circle.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home