Monday, December 11

finding light

Sometimes I get bogged down in what I haven't done, what I should do, what I can't do, that I forget what John Dewey said: "We always live at the time we live, and not at some other time, and only by extracting at each present time the full meaning of each present experience are we prepared for doing the same thing in the future. This is the only preparation which in the long run amounts to anything." Epicure: find the happiness now, even in the difficult moments.
So I go out and walk in the crisp air that has finally arrived in my town. And have a good dinner with a friend, and have a nice long talk with my mom and another with my poet-friend and another with my boyfriend, and read the emails I received.

Seeing the lights, lighting the candles helps me remember that even when it is very dark there is light coming. Feels appropriate for this season, for the last week or so in particular. Even when everything is saying no, you can't, I remind myself, I can. The important thing is to begin. The important thing is to say yes.

* * *

(PS: mercerie here, now.)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! Here's to lights and chilly nights. It's so wonderful to read that your stay in France is going so well, and that you get to share it with friends and family.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Thank you for the uplifting post, eireann! Just what I needed... :)

5:40 PM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

Your photos are reminding me of a trip to France at Christmas time. The lights are just so much better in France.

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those photos, those lights, they couldn't help but be uplifting. They couldn't help but help you to see things a little more clearly... to be in the now.
take care, grache

3:53 AM  
Blogger Casey Maura said...

What a lovely, thoughtful post. Just what I needed right now. Beautiful photo, as well! :)

10:24 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

It is your post and the quote that I will keep in mind as I make my new years resolution.

Stubbled over here from the Kim Auction...your work is beautiful and it is lovely to see another Minnesota girl who is out in the world.

Happy New Year!

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home