Wednesday, November 29

what ten minutes in fresh air will do

These days the light is going down, and the basilica I live behind blocks it. Inside my apartment it is almost always a winter 4 o'clock. Makes work happen more slowly, because I am sleepy without the sun. So I went out to get groceries and now I feel refreshed and ready to work again. This is actually me yesterday, and I was very happy with this outfit--I tend to wear a lot of black and grey and it was nice to put on that yellow silk petticoat and feel a little sunny.
Finished another travel wallet. These things take me forever--but tonight I want to finish another I am about 1/3 done with, and also do some new bags I had an idea for. With little Frenchinesses! So on to that, I suppose.

I've seen fabric around lately with rulers or measuring tapes on it. Where's it from? Is it Japanese? Available online? I'm hankering for it something awful.

---

And--this is a bit gothic to leave off with, but this is a public housing building here that burned down a while ago. I have to walk by it to go to the Social Security office, and it haunts me. Not scarily. I mean I feel attracted to it. Holding something like this in my mind while I walk along the cobblestone streets here keeps me tied to the half of the world that isn't picturesque, but is still beautiful.

---
ps: No-Coast in 3 days! Go see boiled art, UNIFORMstudio, and milkypop, along with loads of other handmakers!

pps: lately, I have really been enjoying the elegant, spare, and precise entries over at smallhands. Also love the fact that she quotes e.e. cummings in her banner.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think the fabric you're talking about it this one. it looks japanese but it's not - it's from moda's american jane collection. i was absolutely thrilled when i found it in my local fabric store.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous outfit. You really look like you could be in a turn-of-the-century convent or living in a 1930s pension while you learn ladies' French. Just perfect.

And I agree about the light - it does make you shut down early in winter.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Casey Maura said...

I love the outfit you shared--the yellow petticoat is such a fun touch! :)

Thanks for asking about that fabric (I see someone already answered your question...), 'cause I've been wondering where its from too! :D

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you want me to send you some tape measure fabric?? petticoats always make an outfit better.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Austen said...

goshdarnit, i love those travel wallets. and the petticoat! a little ray of sunshine.

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That photo of yourself is so lovely, like something from another time and place. Then again, you are in another country... ;)

9:33 PM  
Blogger stephanie said...

your travel wallets are just beautiful (as is that photo of you). i have some of the measuring tape fabric in red that i could send you. let me know.

12:08 AM  
Blogger . said...

I covet that measuring tape fabric, too.

2:19 AM  
Blogger eireann said...

thank you, all--for the compliments on the photo and wallets, for the offers, for the information. sweet.

jane--ladies' french, indeed! that's it exactly. everyone laughs when i say things like 'jadis' or 'd'antan' or 'hélas' but i guess that is the penalty for coming from another decade. :)

2:32 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

such lovely photos, your yellow petticoat is perfect!

5:49 AM  
Blogger hannah said...

love the yellow peek of your petticoat!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

I really like that measuring tape fabric too. And I love your yellow petticoat.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like everyone here, I love the yellow petticoat. I want to figure do this, but perhaps with a red one.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home