Monday, March 20

skirts, oh skirts.



All weekend, sewing. Funny what the impending end of a vacation, combined with two fashion shows coming up (within a month) can do to a person. All told, I made ten skirts, six tops, and two trial-run pairs of underwear in orange lycra. (Well, work with what you have when it's just in testing, I say!) Here are five of the skirts on the line; the first and last are my favorites. I'm really partial to the pink/white fabric in them. I used up a bunch of my fabric on these (but really, it's a drop in the bucket), and it was nice--felt resourceful, to confine myself only to what I had on hand. Toni had the idea to spend a whole month making do with what's already in our possessions, and I think it's a great challenge. Not sure whether I'll be able, but it's my Lenten thing anyway so I'll try for April as well. No buying. Use it up! (Use it up, wear it out, make it over, or do without--a 1930s-40s catchphrase I've always liked.)

In the same spirit, remember that bunch of stuff a while back? It was the top of a box full of notions, vintage threads, unusual fabric, ribbons, paper flowers, millinery supplies, fancies, etc. I'm putting together a bunch of them to send out to special someones, and may have one or two up on my shop at some point. My dear friend S.'s mother is an upholsterer at a fancy company, and gave me a big box of old upholstery fabrics--including the one in this skirt--and I thought the gesture sweet enough to want to pass on.



In exciting news, I'll be in the St. Paul Craftstravaganza this summer (July 8th, but I'll keep you posted) along with Megan! This will be right after I get home from my Adventure (heading to Taos, Portland, Seattle, and then via train to points east; if you're in the area & want to have tea, let me know), so I'll be working on things for it especially intently this spring. In other exciting news, I'll be meeting with a publicist sometime soon about my clothes. She's used them in a few photo shoots lately and really likes them. Hurrah! Oh, dear. Unlike spring skirts, self-congratulation doesn't look good on anyone. Erk.



BUT! In final exciting news, this skirt is for Lisa. She saw the other one here before it sold and liked it so much she ordered one. It was a pleasure to make--the cotton is so soft and fine, it was like sewing silk! Happy, lovely.

And last, but not least, if you want in on the aforementioned secret (which is not a huge deal, but is something rather private and special, and, well, secret), please leave a comment on that post, including your email address and I will let you know what & where.

I hope the birds are beginning to flock, wherever you are.

18 Comments:

Blogger lisa solomon said...

ooohh... i love them all on the line w/ the snow....

and of course i can't wait for mine... sigh....
xo

7:56 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

The skirts are ALL so lovely!

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your skirts are gorgeous!! I am drooling over them all! I wish you all of the best for a very safe journey!

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg! i have been obsessed with skirts for the past few days -- going thru my patterns, fabrics, on-line inspiration trying to find an easy, attractive skirt to sew, etc -- i love using upholstery fabric in clothes, my sis used to do that a lot...this place uses it too-- http://www.elisabethan.com/home.html

6:30 AM  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

these are so very beautiful!
i love the fact too that they hanging on a line outside.
I will have to check back here often as it is quite inspirational!
thank you!
susan

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your skirts are always my favorites! :) So very very pretty!

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful skirts!! i love them juxtaposed against the snow.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so pretty, those skirts all have such nice combinations of fabric. Maybe I need an impending deadline like yours, I need to work a little faster.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they're all lovely. I think the one for Lisa is my favorite...

8:53 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

Love them!! My favs. are the ones you picked too. Such simple, classic style. Just what I would have picked!
xo.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are lovely, especially the lace. I have been dreaming about making skirts with lace to wear this spring!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

those are the cutest skirts! so fun...and yes that's your pencil in my sampler - i just love it!

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful work. I love them all. : )

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last week I declared this summer to be the summer of skirts for me. These are more beautiful inspiration! Lovely, lovely job.

8:29 PM  
Blogger girlprinter said...

Love the flapping skirts in defiance of the snow! When I lived in Ohio, I loved the first day of wearing a skirt and sandals. And if a man wolf-whistled me: perfect. Any other day I'd feel a little creeped out, but the first real day of the new season: bring it on!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Cally said...

the 1st and last skirts are my fave's too, they're so pretty though my favourite is the red and white one which I'm guessing is the one I commented on admiringly over at Lisa's musings the other day, it's just so juicy happy!

Thanks for your comment on my blog, I'm so glad you came because I was reading your site in January or Feb and then I accidentally wiped my bookmarks. I see now that I was searching for Barra instead of Bara (it's cause Barra is my fave island). But Now I have you again I can catch up on all the lovely things I've missed. Yey.

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my GOD I friggin love your skirts.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Ohh.. I just love your skirts!

I've been checking out peoples blogs and am looking for someone to feature for a future article. I write about things using old kimono fabric on a blog called "Kimono Reincarnate". Wondering if you might have anything you'd like written about and linked to your blog/store?

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home