Thursday, December 22

second skirt for printmaking ballet


handprinted synthetic with cotton and vintage synthetic underlayers
vintage ribbon tie, hidden back zipper; 26" waist

This is 1/3 of what's been keeping me busy and out of my sewing room lately: another skirt of the printmaking ballet. Another printmaker and I performed a sketch of it (no pun intended) on Tuesday, which went well execept for one part where, um, the tympan was a bit off the stone and I set the running marks wrong. But nothing broke, so all's well that ends well, and I got an A, so all's excellent, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm proud of this skirt for several reasons: first, I made it, start to finish, including printing the fabric, in four hours. FOUR HOURS. Second, I made it completely without a pattern (which is just the way I work; I make my own patterns if I need them). Third, it not only has a hidden zipper (which I learned to do this summer), it has a hidden zipper AND A LINING. The lining itself is quite pretty. I should have gotten a photo.

The two skirts will be in my shop and then at the Design Collective (see sidebar for URLs) after New Year's.

----

I also pulled a bunch of etchings and did some chine collé experiments with litho. Those will be around once I have the energy to take pictures.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How incredibly gorgeous! I am so impressed that you did all this in 4 hours! Can you show close-ups of the print? Just beautiful!

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the dream skirt for every girl. I second the request for more pictures since your creation is so incredibly stunning!

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, it's so lovely!

9:33 PM  
Blogger eireann said...

thank you, all!

I will put up a few more photos tomorrow, and there are a couple on my flickr account (click the link on the bottom right in the sidebar).

cheers!

11:07 PM  
Blogger Sandrine (alias Didine ♥ ) said...

OH MY GOD ! I've never such beautiful skirt ! It's like Cinderella one !!! I love it sooooo much !! Clap clap clap !! Bravo bravo !
Hugs

4:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes -just lovely.
I can't wait to see the closeups of the print.
I will have to visit the Design Collective to see it in person (now if only my waist were that small....)
Martha

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so beautiful!!! I love your ideas & your printmaking skills, your wonderful!!!

happy holidays!

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a printmaker but never thought! of doing anything like this...it is so very feminine and beautiful!

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home