Monday, February 5

la vie en rose

What happened to me? Something has changed in my brain, in my body: I can feel the roots I am putting down in this place, where I was so unhappy at first. It is the language, it is friendships I've found, it is the rhythm I've finally established, it is a certain comfort, the tint of roses everywhere I walk.
This is a map of my region and state that I drew and my students filled out from memory. It's a perfect mixture of two places I love. I will always be Minneapolitan, Minnesotan, American: I love my city, my state; I am grateful to have been born in my country. But there are strong claims on my heart here, too: the landscape, my students, the language, the way of living, which was so different and so hard at first. I don't understand everything, I don't love everything, but I do love it here now.

Love is what it comes down to, in just about every case, for me. Love, gratitude, and compassion. Larry Levis: "Love is an immigrant: it shows itself in its work. It works for almost nothing." My heart is migrating all over the world, changing me in ways I could not have anticipated. So lucky.

* * *

I'm sewing a ton. Shop update tentatively scheduled for this Saturday afternoon, my time.

* * *

13 Comments:

Blogger shari said...

hi eireann,
so glad to hear you are loving where you are now. beautiful words today. happy monday! xo shari

11:30 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

It is always good to star liking the place that you are in.
There is always a period when somethings just guet in your nervs and sometimes you just wish you were home. But there are also the good things that make a special place in your heart.

11:57 AM  
Blogger ruby-crowned kinglette said...

how wonderful. such nice news to hear.

12:29 PM  
Blogger amisha said...

i love the way you put this... "My heart is migrating all over the world"... it is so nice to find that rhythm and joy and love in a new place, and start to feel like you are at home again.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO happy to hear you are feeling more at "home" over there.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Meranie said...

Hooray for sewing! =D

4:57 PM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

Your post made me smile. I'm glad you're feeling more at home there.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Dorie said...

it's so nice to be happy where you are.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you're content...

8:55 PM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

this is such a lovely post.... so happy to hear this news.... xo

10:32 PM  
Blogger nuttnbunny said...

Really enjoy your blog.

Yesterday morn here north of Mpls was _24 actual temp. Il fait froid. (as I practice my french :-)

Glad you're feeling at home.

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful post and a very true sentiment. Living somewhere very different from what you know is hard, a challenge, but once you move past the difficult part, or learn the ropes of how to manage in this new place, it's such a reward.

Can't wait to see what's in the shop.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uLove, such a wonderful feeling that has it's place in so many different ways. Isn't Larry Levis the greatest?
Here's to your new feelings.
Take care.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home