Saturday, February 17

* * *

1571314288

It comes out in less than two weeks (!). I'm leaving today for a trip to England with school, and then I'll be staying there to visit a college friend; then I'm going to spend some time in Paris. And then I'll be back in Dole.

My editor mailed me a copy and it came yesterday. So beautiful. And so real! Until now it's seemed like the sort of conceptual exercise I did in grad school: here's my fancy (fake) manuscript, here are the fake mock-ups of the cover, rights page, etc. But it is real. How strange it feels. What I made is going out in the world to be talked about or not, loved or disliked, maybe forgotten, touched, known by people I will never meet.

If you like poetry or you need something nice to read or you're just nosey, you can find it at your local library (or ask them to get it for you), you can preorder it here or you can (please) support your local independent bookseller!

Thank you for your support and your kindness all along.

* * *
Two poems (not from the book; from the daily exercises with my friend):


TRAIN VOYAGE NO. 38

I myself am hell/ Nobody’s here
Robert Lowell, “Skunk Hour”


What search goes on goes on across distances;
you say the word selectman
as if it is nothing, Atlantic’s far side
crashing into your history: I’ve left
all that behind now. Body
being what it is, frantic, knowing
cellular breakdown, basis of all things,
I am still longing spread
across tarmac and railroad. Today
the train had no heat, I hunched
in jacket and corner and drew
faces from memory. Hands trill
like birds, motors, how after drought
earth almost shakes to take in all it can
of rain. Not knowing
breaks all into pieces, I gather half-hours
one by one to pass the day. Will there ever
be another hand touching
me? No could be, glass
splintering on tile floor, bones
without song in them. I want
black hair curling by a wry face; fear
I have left second place behind
in vain, an anxious wind hurrying me every wrong direction.


CREED

Tape-record footsteps leading
from one end of town, sound
two hands make stopped
in air, in speech; one gesture
equals more, whether covering the face
or the palm and fingers
meaning seven. The reporter
keeps everything, steno-bound
and silent, even past ending.
In another evening
we could wind cats’-cradles of wool
yarn, pass hours between cups
and kettle, squares
of chocolate on a white plate
and not answer the doorbell,
compound everything from type
case to sewing machine to miles
doubled into kilometers and horizon
that only ends with ocean.
There will always be someone
with a knife raised to ear’s
finely haired edge; rarer: receiver
holding a gauze envelope,
two people surrounded by a wreath of bees.

* * *

See you soon!

31 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HUGE congratulations to you Erieann! Wow, what an accomplishment - and to now be actually holding it in your hands - amazing! My copy has been on pre-order and I will treasure holding and reading and sharing it myself. Safe travels to you in the coming weeks!

2:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is so great!! it's really coming soon. i can't wait to get my copy. so are you still planning a reading at the loft in April? certainly hope to be there. all my best to you. xo

10:13 AM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

i need my autographed copy! so we'll have to figure out a way to do that :)

so glad it's real. and so glad i will have your lovely words in my hands.... and that we'll read for the book club!!!

xoxoxoxoxo

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! Will you ever be back in the Twin Cities to do readings and signings?

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful! Best of luck to you - I know it will be successful!

P.S. The cover is lovely!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

Wow and congratulations. The cover is lovely, I can;t wait to see it in person.

8:31 PM  
Blogger MWM said...

Oh, I can't wait. I will definitely get my copy from Milkweed.
April is coming fast -I'll see you soon:)

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how very exciting it must be for you. hope to get my hands on a copy very soon. by the way, the cover looks really beautiful.

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello e. when you autograph lisa s's, you can do mine.

so real.

10:50 PM  
Blogger marbargarbo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:20 AM  
Blogger shari said...

hi eireann!

this is so exciting. your book looks so lovely. such a beautiful cover. i'm with lisa and lisa...i'd LOVE a signed copy. hope you are enjoying your travels. xo shari

12:14 PM  
Blogger amisha said...

congratulations!! the cover is beautiful. so exciting that it is real and tangible!

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy!

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really shine with beauty - as I am sure every page of your beautiful book will too.

5:08 AM  
Blogger Casey Maura said...

congrats!! how exciting to be publishing a book of poetry! :)

8:28 AM  
Blogger bugheart said...

it's so beautiful!
congratulations!!!
can i stand in line
for an
autographed copy?!

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cover is quiet beautiful and I'm sure the poems match that beauty. Congratualations on this tangible work!

2:42 PM  
Blogger T.M.K. said...

i am really looking forward to reading your book. i'm sure it will radiate with your loveliness. take care.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Austen said...

wow, congratulations! so exciting to be able to hold it in your hands "for reals." i'll be sure to look for a copy here in halifax!

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!y
ou are so awesome and I agree with Lisa, I would like an autographed one, too. How fun and what a dream you are living-you go!

8:54 PM  
Blogger MadgeMc said...

Hello From Nora's Mom--

Erieann, how wonderful about your book! I've been following your adventures in France and want you to know that I think you're courageous and brave {not to mention extremely talented) to start a brand new life in another country. Your pictures and posts are absolutely enchanting. Thank you for sharing and giving me a window into your life. Hope to see you when you return.
Margaret Mc

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations, the cover is just so beautiful, as I am sure the words are. I am pre-ordering my copy right now, I need wallpaper in Emma's room in that cover artwork : ) xo

5:25 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

this must give you the best feeling in the world :) i wish i could buy you some icecream to celebrate! congratulations to you! i hope to get one too when it is released.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How very, very exciting for you! Yippee!
see you, grache

1:41 AM  
Blogger Kristen Doran said...

Hey there, congrats on your book! I have gathered some bits of my fabric together for you, so drop me a line when you get back and we can swap details.
Kristen

5:19 AM  
Blogger Tania Ho said...

how wonderful, many congratulations ! love the cover and I'll be looking forward to read it too :)

4:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So adorable like in a Jane Austen atmosphere.
g.

5:37 AM  
Blogger corinne said...

Hello Eireann,
I have just discovered your lovely words and your capacity to embroider the edges of the everyday. It's been a perfect rainy evening here. I wondered if you could possibly visit my bog and read some of my poetry...
thankyou....Corinnex

4:30 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

How amazingly wonderful!
I"m so glad I found your blog. Can't wait to hear about your travels and get a copy of this sweet little book.

1:06 PM  
Blogger The Worsted Witch said...

Fantastic! Congratulations, Eireann!

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely poems and wonderful cover!

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home