Monday, November 13

but then again

you know what this is
As Alison said, when I leave, I'll miss it here, too. And I will: it's already hard to imagine going a day without talking to the new friends I've made, and it's strange to think that I will be a fuzzy memory to the children of my friends. I will miss the way fog comes over the Doubs and fills up the town as though tucking it in for the night. I know I will miss the trains. And Paris, where I went for the day, the other day, how everything is near everything here. I walk everywhere. Today I walked through town and walked through the country to find a cycling shop. The air smelled like fires in fireplaces and rain, and it did rain a little, but I had my umbrella.
this is what it looked like today
And um, yes, I do indeed think I will miss thrift shopping here. I know it's not quite the same as, well, a river or my friends, but I have to say--I went with friends to EMMAUS in Dijon yesterday, and it was so, so neat. Found old buttons--mother of pearl, bakelite, plastic, metal, leather, wood, glass-- and embroidery floss and tiny rosettes for military wear, still on their card. And a patch that says FRANCE. And a blouse that fits perfectly, in soft cotton with embroidery and ribbons, from the 1920s, and a pair of PANTALOONS!! I couldn't believe my eyes. I'll wash them and then take a real photo.

yes, there is a lining; yes, it is apparently silver
So, silver linings everywhere. Internet in the apartment? Not so much. But soon.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The days of missing make the days of finding that much sweeter, n'est-ce pas?

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to see your able to appreciate the good things about you. It makes the less than good things a little less bad.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drink in the beauty and the history and the culture and the experience! I sometimes wonder if I'll ever get to sees Europe ...

5:06 PM  
Blogger Casey Maura said...

The photos are gorgeous... Your pictures and descriptions of France are making me want to go so badly. :) One day...

And the thrift store finds are total gold!! :)

7:12 PM  
Blogger stephanie said...

hoping you find new silver linings every day.

beautiful finds.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this was a pleasure to read.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home