Tuesday, August 22

worry, worry

The less time I have, the more I find myself trying to do. This is as a rule: it's the reason I came out of graduate school with not one, but three manuscripts. It's the reason I come up with (and execute) new designs, invariably, the week before a show. It's the reason I take on extra jobs, offer help (even when it's not necessary), and push really hard right up to the wire, even though I might have been slacking off a bit beforehand.
Most of the time it produces excellent results, especially in combination with the high expectations I set for myself.

Other times (often in combination with other stresses--you know, the ones I haven't planned for) it produces anxiety, worry, irritability, and general ennui. I overwhelm myself with all the things I want to do.
Right now the list (and for me, lists are stress-reducers mostly; occasionally they do make me more anxious, but then I stop using them for a while, loosen back up) includes a skirt in grey cotton and yellow linen for myself; a cream wool winter coat, also for myself; a cashmere skirt (um, ditto). And then, um, packing all the things I own, or giving them away, or using them up? Oh, and also a slip dress like the one in the spring Marie-Claire Idées (on the page with the painted wardrobe) and a quilt for Brian for when I'm gone, and a little jacket for me (and two or three for the shops?) and a long, many-pleated skirt in dark brown linen (ooh, also for me).
And I keep having more ideas (true to form) and, and, and. This one does not know how to cut herself off.

I did edit this just now to take out the personal bit at the bottom. Still not comfortable with that. I know Bloglines users will still be able to read it, and that's fine, but didn't really want it out here for eternity. Suffice to say a family member's ill and that kind of puts my crafty worries in their place.

14 Comments:

Blogger lisa solomon said...

we are so silimar it's eerie... i do and then stop the list things [and ours look sort of alike!]

and i too take on too much.

if you were closer i'd say let's have a do nothing eat good food manicure day....

and your brother - ee gahds. let me know if i can help w/ anything.

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Eireann. I hope your brother recovers quickly.

1:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snap! Me too. The less time there is, the more I try to do...

Hope you can whittle down those worries...
cheers, gracia

3:50 AM  
Blogger Funky Finds said...

I'm am so sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he recovers quickly. Hang in there!

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hang in there my love.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Sandrine (alias Didine ♥ ) said...

Hello mademoiselle :) J'espère que ton frère ira mieux très vite !! Et merci pour ton petit mon à propos de ma "secret pal" je suis impatiente de recevoir son mail ! Gros bisous de Belgique !

11:08 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

hugs, lots and lots of hugs!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Green Kitchen said...

Sorry. Thinking of you from California.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Cecilia A.E said...

hi!!!
qué interesantes tus cuadernos de notas!
:)

11:38 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

hope everything will be alright... thinking of you xxx

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lists are stress-reducers
so so true...

hang in there.

3:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm, I hear you sweetie. Thinking of you and wishing you, and your family, well.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Thank you for the Repot Depot link (a couple entries ago), I have just dropped a bit of $$ with them (+ fell in love with almost everything), but it will save me some time in scouring thrifts stores + flea markets. I enjoy reading your blog, you have a great aesthetic ~Shona

12:50 PM  
Blogger eireann said...

thank you all for your kind comments. I really appreciate each of them. You're all so good.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home