Saturday, August 12

what's going on

There's a lot I would like to say but I do censor myself to some degree because I'm not interested in getting into discussions of politics, religion, dogma, or semantics. This is a place where I can pretend that kids aren't dying by bombs and everything is okay with the atmosphere and it's all right to go on making pretty things. It is my tidy place, yes.

tub + rug

Of course I do have a mechanism in place that makes me aware of and responsive to these things: it's called my real life. For me, a weblog is not a true (i.e. complete) representation of myself or my life; it's one section--a tiny one. So I keep it to what is safe and comfortable. We can all agree on a cute rabbit. Not so, necessarily, human rights or pacifism or abortion or whether green olives are indeed the ideal topping for pizza, American-style. I prefer to have discussion about those things with people, in real time, not in print over and inflexible (and often incendiary) medium.

schoolbook

When I started this post I was just going to write briefly about the 17-hour day I put in working on my fall collection on Thursday, about how when I get in the thick of making I get more inspired and then sometimes I get all wannnnnty about fabrics online (I tend not to order online because of shipping costs--I also like to support businesses in my area; it's that whole 'interacting with people I can see in real-time' thing) and spend hours making wishlists of them. And then I got to thinking about people who work on garments for long, long workdays on a daily basis, and not necessarily because it's fun. And that led to responsible consumption, and not wasting, and then on to global warming, and then just a short hop-skip-jump to, well, everything else.

And I said I wouldn't talk about it here. So I won't. But now I feel frivolous posting photos, so I will just add one more, from our work session yesterday. My friend Barrett came over to help serge while I constructed garments, which was a lifesaver.

the sweatshop

There's a glimpse of the chaos that is my living space/workroom, too. Birds, stone, etc. Sorry for such heavy fare on the weekend. Something lighter soon. And I'm still craving these:


(All from Reprodepot.)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about my blog. Just because I don't talk about the world around me doesn't mean I am not aware of it - or even hyper-aware sometimes. And, I too spend my days coveting fabrics online, especially when I am sad for some reason, but I have yet to give in and buy anything because the shipping costs to Canada are high and I am always waiting to find the one fabric I can't live without. And really, will that ever happen? There are a lot of things I can live without.

11:15 AM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

wow eireann you are reading my mind... i was just thinking about how the blog seems like this netherworld where i don't really want to talk about all the horrors of the world, but they are really starting to get to me....

thanks for this.... you are a great inspiration! xo

1:50 PM  
Blogger bugheart said...

it is so strange
the duality
of blog life
and real life...
in so many ways-
i mean how many times
do we photograph
the messes or
share the failures
or our sadness...
it's almost like
that would be
another blog
entirely...
i so appreciate
you bringing
this topic up...
it bears
a lot
of thinking about...

7:09 PM  
Blogger stephanie said...

thanks for this post. you articulated so well something that has been on my mind of late. sometimes i do question the frivolity of my content in the face of the state of the world, but there is something in it (the keeping of my tidy blog) that sustains me and energizes me. and, like you said, i have my real life.

10:09 PM  
Blogger The Worsted Witch said...

Blogs like yours are so important, I think because they're sanctuaries ... they remind us that, yes, there is beauty in the world, and human kindness. And life and love.

I can't tell you how much blogs like yours help me get through the day :) Thank you for being you and sharing with us.

10:35 AM  
Blogger eireann said...

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. I really appreciate the time you took to leave them here. I was worried about writing this kind of post, but I am glad I did.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have really been wanting that giraffe print too...love it.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your words are so thoughtful, and I think speak to so many of us who ponder the same questions. I depend on my blog to be one small little space in my life that is full of beauty, peace, and things that bring me joy. And yes, like you and everyone else, there's a lot more to my life (and the world around us) than that.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for this meaningful post. our "tidy places" are also our "safe places" where we can don't necessarily talk about the horrible things that are going on in this world...

4:44 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

hello eireann, i know i am late posting a comment here, but i just wanted to thank-you for these words... so resonant and eloquent, hope you are well xxx

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home