Tuesday, July 18

floating

mer/maid

I'm in southern Minnesota right now, at the Anderson Center. I don't talk much about my 'real' life much on this weblog, partially because it's the private side, partially because it's probably not that interesting, but sometimes somthing slips out and so some of you have put together that I just finished my MFA (Master's degree in fine arts). Some of you, some very discerning ones of you, might even have figured out that I did the MFA in the sublimely prospectless area of poetry.

(Don't get me wrong. Poetry for love, not money, and I'm happy with that.)

So now I'm here, to spend two weeks working on new poems and I feel like I am just floating. There's no schedule, no rules, no places to be (in fact, since I don't drive, there's nowhere I can really go, even if I want to, that's off the [330-acre] grounds!). So I've been writing in the mornings, cooking, making skirts, doing some embroidery. And floating. I feel untethered; I've had to let go of my normal routines (like email! There's one computer with internet, and I don't want to hog it) and replace them with stillness and quietness. It's a good thing for two weeks in the middle of such a busy summer.


----

Oh, and [west-coast] Portlandites: I will be in your fair city August 27-Sept. 1, and I would love to have tea, go shopping, etc. Shall we? Drop a line (ohbara at gmail dot com).

And, disclaimer: the mermaid atop this post is old--I can't upload photos here! (Lots, then, when I get home. Or find a wireless connection in town.)

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep writing, and floating. I hope some of your poems will be posted in the secret place [I love reading there, but haven't commented].

Please forgive me, I don't believe I acknowledged your outstanding accomplishment...congratulations on earning your MFA!!!

7:30 PM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

floating sounds wonderful to the very tethered me.... :)

have a good time... looking forward to hearing more.... xo

8:39 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

so lovely to hear that you are having such a wonderful floaty time :)

2:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds excellent. Hope it helps your poem output rate - or whatever poets aim for.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

portland oregon or portland maine?

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy floating! It sounds lovely. Congratulations on your MFA. I'm glad you have this unstructured time for yourself.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful... your untethered experience... enjoy.
take care, gracia

7:08 PM  
Blogger Meranie said...

I am SO sorry for not getting back to you sooner. E-mail coming soon! And I love your work!

4:11 PM  
Blogger The Worsted Witch said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the mermaid!!!

4:31 PM  
Blogger majamom said...

I did not realize you are a poet! i just spent the 119 degree afternoon-hiding away in my air conditioned room reading a collection of Victorian Poets-what a joy!
I hope you feel moved to share some of your writing in the future.
I adore the mermaid-it was my fantasy as a little girl many years ago!
You are truly a multi talented women!
Enjoy your focused writing time.
Namaste,
MB

2:44 AM  
Blogger eireann said...

Thank you all for your comments. :)

9:51 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

now i feel like i'm floating along with you. enjoy yourself little lady! i'm sure it is very well deserved :)

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh delightful floating and lovely mermaid!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Kristin Nicholas said...

Sounds like a lovely two weeks.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Inanna said...

Congratulations on your MA. That's wonderful and inspiring.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home