Tuesday, May 9

onwards, ever, etc.

So I am back now, from the quakey tower of academia and the scary recesses of the hospital. Thankfully, I had the best and kindest carers in both places (the ER nurses: amazing. I couldn't even feel the IV being put in, and one of them, after I said I didn't think he should ask patients to drink iodine--for CT scans of soft tissue--without having drunk it himself, did drink it, completely impressing me) and I am feeling much better. In a way this has been a nice, if forced, break for me. The end of the semester is so harried and hurried, and it's a mixed blessing to be sure but it was good for me to have to slow down.

Thank you all for your get-well wishes and your sweet words. Details: a "lacerated liver," bruises on right leg, cuts on right hand and chin, bruised diaphragm (solar plexus). Not fun, but it could have been worse and I'm glad it wasn't. This is my right hand. I had never realized how integral to movement, lifting, holding a pen, etc., the pinky really is.

Now--better things.

When I needed a money pouch fast for a show where I had a booth in April, I whipped one up out of some swanky fabric samples a friend gave me. It worked so well, I added a strap the next day. Mine is made of wool and ultrasuede; the ones beneath it are wool/cotton (green/dark grey) and wool/ultrasuede (corn-yellow/off-white). The fabrics are so pliable and strong and of such high quality, I can't stop touching my purse. It's almost embarrassing. Almost. But it's so cute--who could blame me? These are part of my summer06 collection.

After hanging out with Megan, I decided that, yes, a buttonmaker was something I wanted to spend my money one. I've been busy putting it to use, and I have several "theme" sets of buttons I'm working on. Shhh! Think turn-of-the-century collegiates, your high-school schedule, ways to carry a poem with you every day. More news as these evolve.

And last but not least, part of what I worked on for the last five weeks in the printshop were these fabrics, which I printed myself. The text one has words from Gertrude Stein's book Tender Buttons on it in red and yellow; the other has coral (two sizes) in four colors of red. I'm planning on skirts out of each.

In other news: a new baby, a change in the wind, a robin singing in the morning.

Still not sure what my summer holds: with one of my major forms of transport (bike) ruled out for the next 6 weeks, things are changing a bit. But I'm still planning to sew, write, send out, travel, make, print, draw, read (oh! reading for pleasure! I've just read two novels this week and it feels so good), see friends, dance, do research, and be happy all through it.

How about you?

It's good to be back.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that you are on the mend! I hope your recovery continues smoothly.

6:17 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

so glad to hear you are ok, love the fabric and the buttons are making me smile...

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, your poor little hand! kisses to it. glad you are back.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery. I love the Gertrude Stein fabric. I really love it! Can't wait to the finished skirt.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very very glad you are back and ok. Peter commutes by bike one hour each way 2x a week and, let's just say we've had our share of accidents around here. Your pouches are full of lovely, saturated color. That fabric you printed is absolutely amazing!

8:18 PM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

looking at your hand is painful. you poor dear... i am glad you are on the mend and man are you makin' some cool ass stuff! xoxo

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness ... dear girl. I am so happy you are back and so sad for your "poor little bird" injuries. I hope you are recooperating very well and healing very quickly. Again anything I can do to send some cheer please let me know! Thinking of your lovely, beautiful, fabulous self and creations!

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am glad you are back and on the mend. I was worried...
the little bags are so cute -glad you could put the fabric to good use. I need to do something w/ mine now:)
and the fabric! absolutely beautiful. One of my favorite things I have seen you make. and that reminds me -I want a coral shirt!

keep healing.
Martha

10:56 PM  
Blogger majamom said...

(((healing hugs))) you have a wonderful attitude-just pace yourself and dont over do~
I'D L O V E to know the process from design to having fabric printed??

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohmigosh, Eireann, please rest and relax and heal well soon, sweetheart. I'm so sorry to read of this and wish you much peace and strength as you recover. XOXO

9:42 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

So glad you are OK. Poor thing. What a scary incident. xo.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad you were treated tenderly all around, and hope all of those uncomfortable injuries mend very quickly.

also very excited about the peek into summer 06! those pouches- perfect. the buttons- oh la la! the fabric- divine! can't wait to see what you do next...

11:10 AM  
Blogger blissful said...

Welcome back! Glad it wasn't worse (but a lacerated liver sounds kinda bad). Money pouches look great!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ouchies!!! I cringed when i read the liver bit...thinking about what's "inside" always squicks me!
It is wonderful that you are looking at it so positively...it will surely speed up your recovery! Meanwhile, take good care of yourself!

1:39 PM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Welcome back! It's lovely to know that you are OK and were well cared for. As usual, a beautiful post.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

phew! so glad to hear you're mostly ok, if not for all the scrapes, bumps and bruises! your new sneak peeks sound fantastic... can't wait to see more!

10:49 AM  
Blogger The Worsted Witch said...

I hope you feel better soon!

1:48 PM  
Blogger stephanie said...

i'm so sorry this happened to you. so take it easy.

the fabrics you printed are gorgeous. love the coral,

12:21 AM  
Blogger Erin Lang Norris said...

oh no! i would be so sad if anything happened to my hand, but wow youre dealing with a lot of nasty stuff. being injured takes SO much out of a person, i hope you are doing well and eating ice cream and cookies, or something just as good, to pass the time. feel better soon, okay?

5:34 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

oh sweetie, it's so good to hear you're back and recovering well. get well soon :) those fabrics look fantastic!

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're (relatively) okay.

I have not been on in forever it seems, been having computer troubles. It's nice to see what you've been up to again.

So, the buttons -- I'm wanting to get a button maker too, what kind did you get? Or maybe more importantly, where do you get your supplies? I bought some 1" buttons recently, and the pin parts are jagged on the ends, so they tear the fabric. :( Any ideas?

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bike accident?!?! Yikes! Glad to hear you are recovering though! I've never been hit, and I commute to work in the summer so I'm always paranoid. Hope you feel all better soon!

Tracy

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home