Friday, May 19

afternoon (the long version)

I can hear the bell ringing from the elementary school down the street. I hear it every afternoon, and I like hearing it. There are few things as evocative for me as the things connected to the insular, ordinary world of grade school. The smell--all of them smell the same, don't they? Kind of chalk mixed with kid sweat and the overtones of hot lunch?--and the way the chairs feel and the sound of the bell.

Too much talking. On to the pictures, then.

Reader, (as Jane Austen would say, oh Jane!) I got two packages this week. One, which I sent to Vanina in January, apparently circled the globe and came right back to me. Here it is--a piece of mail art in itself, wouldn't you say?

The other, a sweet present from a kind + talented lady, only had to come from San Francisco. Luckily, I sent Vachu a second parcel to make up for this one's being lost, so I can keep the wool that's inside this one! And everything Lisa sent was so sweet--buttons from the show she's making, papers I loved, cute flocked fabric (I already know which skirt I'm going to use it on), and a tiny pink-and-red bird. Just my taste. Thank you, L!

Birds are chirping just outside my screen. I'm so glad spring is finally here!

(Heralding things like craft fairs and fashion shows and getting to work on my work instead of schoolwork....)

Speaking of shows, the St. Paul Craftstravaganza is coming up in July--so the gears are turning. I've also had the weird experience of a couple of wholesale solicitations--how do you even manage that, those of you who make for wholesale? Crazy. Seems like a ton of work. Hmm.

But anyway. I've been working on a new product lately--it's going to be a packet of bath supplies, très luxe and very sweet--and I've come up with a version I'm happy about. Just a little vinyl pouch with handmade soaps etc. inside. I've decided to sew washcloths for these, too--I like that, because one side if terry (a little rough) and the other is flannel (soft). Actually, one of the first swaps I ever had I had with Toni, and she sent me a yellow washcloth she had made. I use it as my special face washcloth. It is that special. Maybe I'm just a sucker for pretty doo-dads (imagine!).

And--finally--the trim swap is still open for sign-ups, until Monday at 9 a.m. CST--so as long as I get your email before then, you're in. I figure at this point is is going to be huge and crazy, so it may as well be really huge and crazy while we're at it. Please read the post below and be sure to email me your information, even if you think I already have it. That way, I can more easily track who is in. I'll email everyone on Monday night with partners' names/information and the details of the swap. Thanks for being so eager to participate!

See you soon.

6 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

What lovely things. I think "Ah Jane!" regularly too. Or I would if I were cleverer than I am.

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! hi from maine. so glad you got your package!!

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just found you through shim+sons and would love to join your swap am I too late. Can't find your email.

8:38 AM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

yay for sweet mail... and for you organizing something so we can all get sweet mail!!

1:36 PM  
Blogger punkinpieproductions said...

I think I sent you my info...shall I try-try again?!

2:04 PM  
Blogger vania said...

Oh no! i've been trying to email you but it keeps coming back to me?! I would love to join the trim swap but am i too late? could you maybe leave me a note on my blog? i think i have the right email for you!

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home