Friday, May 12

il faut choisir

This is me, looking quite dignified and wise, and not at all silly. Can you see my hood? That's the mauve velvet thing around my neck where normal people wear a collar. Très, how-do-you-say, classy.

The ceremony was three hours long. Oy! But I like the feeling of closure that comes with rtiuals like this one. And I love "Hail, Minnesota," which is both our state and college anthem, so I stayed to the end. Almost said "the bitter end," but I am now (as you might recall) a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing, and we don't make such cliché mistakes.

And so, (as Edna Millay would say) 'the world stands out on either side.' And it's a little overwhelming, but suddenly--yesterday, after an afternoon of fabric-shopping (results later next week)--the scope is narrowed just a little.

A letter arrived--or should I say, est arrivé?--from the French Embassy in Washington, D.C.

If you accept, it read, you'll be teaching English to French highschool students in Besançon next year.

---
OH AND ALSO, did you see the OFFICE season finale? Gasp, gasp, gasp.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my Yeah Yeah!! Can I accept it? Can I accept it? Congratulations to you on your Masters ... oh and everything!!

I hope you are feeling better and oh did I mention congratulations??

12:53 AM  
Blogger Sandrine (alias Didine ♥ ) said...

Félicitations !!! Je suis si contente pour toi !! Tu seras bientôt plus "près" de chez moi !! Gros gros bisous ! Je pense très fort à toi :)

1:19 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

how wonderful, congrats xxx

2:32 AM  
Blogger Strikkelise said...

Welcome to Europe!!!!
:D

3:36 AM  
Blogger ofpinsandneedles said...

Congratulations Eireann! Definitely, go to France, I'd say.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

wow!

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is, WOW! Isn't it amazing how life can be so incredibly down one day, and up the next! Congratulations Erieann!!

2:21 PM  
Blogger the shim family said...

Erieann: Congratulations! You look lovely in your cap + gown! France? Oh my, how fun!

1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, girl! You deserve it!!

xoxo
Tracy

7:01 PM  
Blogger majamom said...

BRAVO!!! and teaching in France-does it get any better then that?

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh hooray! what wonderful adventures you will have!

1:41 PM  
Blogger blissful said...

Congratulations! Hope everything is healing nicely and quickly!

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home