Thursday, April 5

on beauty

3rd set
For the last few years, probably about as long as I have been making clothes; or a bit longer actually, I have thought about dressing myself. What it means, what it can do for me, how I can use it as a means of communication, how it can be art.

I love beautiful things: the feel and look of shibori. The yellow silk petticoat I have. Wool. That's one reason why I make clothes--to have really lovely things I couldn't afford if someone else made them. To have the pleasure of making them, too.
7th set
When I was in Paris last week for a day, I saw a man wearing a scarf made of heavy silk chirimen printed with shibori; it was navy blue and black and the shibori pattern was (as is typical) white. It took my breath out of my mouth. He wore it witha black wool coat and he carried his son in one arm. His son wore red. The colors, textures, patterns, the two people. Beautiful.

How material matters to me: I don't like to wear synthetic things because they don't feel beautiful. They don't merit the work. Beautiful objects, beautiful materials. My hands, my body want to know this, not just my eyes.

I once broke up with someone in part because he didn't make anything. He didn't understand the value of making, of materials. He didn't need to touch things. He didn't value made things for their innate beauty, the quality of having-been-made.
11th set
A friend and I talk about making journals to record what we wear every day. Sometimes I follow the wardrobe_remix community at flickr. About a month ago I began drawing my clothes as I wore them (more or less--there are a few fantasies here). And that moved into figuring out how to draw myself, too, what I look like. How I express myself through my clothing. How many nuances of communication are part of my daily dress. Getting used to my face (which I don't see much).
5th set
Drawing my clothes lets me be free with colors, try out things I would not have otherwise. It's easy because I have nothing to lose; these are just doodles, croquis, nothing of importance. I can be free with the lines, I can scribble, I can make mistakes. I have found beauty where I didn't expect it.

I want to live in a way that is the least harmful it can be. I want to make beautiful things and live in spaces that are beautiful.

I want the way I am in the world to be an extension of beauty to other people, too.

(Whenever I can I will go out in the world singing.)

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh. Now I can go to bed happy, and dream of clothes and making, and the joy of the beautiful.

beautiful lasting words.

6:08 AM  
Blogger lulubeans said...

what a gorgeous entry. i feel much the same with my spinning + knitting.

and i want to see your images bigger!

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

these drawings and thoughts are both inspiring and beautiful. i believe you have the impact that you hope for already!

your beautiful clothes (oh my! the set on flickr) have played a big part in inspiring me to make my own, and not to just dream of whimsies but to wrap myself in them!

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eireann,
i loved this post. i admire your sense of simplicity and beauty so much. and your drawings of yourself are so expressive and wonderful.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your post and then I read this

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/
article/2007/04/04/
AR2007040401721.html?hpid=artslot

Definitely a day to pay attention to beauty around me.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I have such love for these words of yours today, Eireann! Inspiring, thoughtful, and beautiful like you. THank you!

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love everything in this post. You are a true artist my friend!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Brandy said...

Beautiful post...I very much enjoyed it and looking at your drawings. What an excellent idea to draw yourself like that! A lot of self-discovery I would imagine.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am inspired and encouraged by your post! Makes me think about how much I celebrate my individuality through my clothes. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! :)

1:02 PM  
Blogger Julie R said...

i love your drawings, and your eye and appetite for a beautiful and authentic life. today's post is especially beautiful.

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. this post was just lovely to read.

vous ĂȘtes si beau!

xoash

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a lovely post. the drawings are so wonderful - i love all facial expressions and the different poses.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I really, really loved this post. The drawings are so lovely, and made even more so by your words. I love the idea of how we dress as an extension of ourselves and our creativity. I love the idea that it matters. Sometimes I worry that maybe I'm just shallow and worldly when I think so much about things like that. Thanks for the reminder of how worthy it can be.

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely. thank you! Beautiful clothes and beautiful writing. Taking pleasure in what you wear is wonderful.

8:46 AM  
Blogger T.M.K. said...

utterly inspiring. i truly admire the way you travel through your life. thank you so much for sharing.

9:24 AM  
Blogger amisha said...

what a beautiful post, and wonderful drawings as well... i love the playful freedom in them, and the sense of expression in one's dress, that it is a simple and beautiful expression of the handmade.

12:34 PM  
Blogger shari said...

such a beautiful beautiful post. i keep coming back to read your words. xoxo

5:18 PM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

ditto ditto ditto.

just what i needed to read.
be well [your plane has landed with me - now how to get you to sign it]

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you please give us a hint on how to draw ourselves?

8:22 AM  
Blogger Funky Finds said...

i just saw on dawbis' comments that you are moving back to the states! how exciting!!!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Max said...

Oh my goodness - these drawings are ravishing!

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These drawings are really sweet and they have so much character. This was a perfect way to be introduced to your blog...

8:20 AM  
Blogger Mary Richmond said...

your lovely drawings have so much nice energy and life in them, so different from what we may think of "fashion drawings". what a fun idea--nice work, nice idea--thanks for sharing.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your drawings! Vital and wonderful. They remind me of Eloise. Thanks for a great blog. Abbey

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good friend of mine passed this link on to me because she thought it sounded like me. This post touched me, because that is exactly how I feel about good fabics and creating with them. It's like you said, one can gain so much from creating beautiful items. I love your drawings, I have yet to gain the courage to draw clothes myself, for I'm better at making things than putting them on paper, I'm just going to have to start. Thank you so much for this post.

10:29 PM  
Blogger glennis said...

perfectly stated...
you made my day!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home