Sunday, September 24

what I said, what I meant


I did mean to write again about poetry but instead have been consumed with the fact that 100 pounds is not much at all, and somehow I have to get what I want to bring to france of my life here to fit into two suitcases that weigh less than I do. So I think I will not write any more here until I have arrived in France (this is acceptance--letting it go, keeping myself [reasonably] sane, and it's hard for me). But I will say one small story.

My mom loves Gordon Lightfoot, and has since she was a teenager. He is on tour but has been sick and I wanted to get her tickets (in case!), but they were sold out. I tried every day until three days before the concert, when amazingly I was able to buy two seats, for my mom and dad. Then, when we were picking them up at will-call, someone else offered me two more tickets, so Brian and I got to go. Although I do like Gordon Lightfoot's songs, it wasn't the best concert ever--he had just had a stroke!--and I wish he had sung this song, which I love both for its strong encouragement for people heading out in the world and for the memories I have of cleaning to it on Saturday mornings.

The House You Live In
(Gordon Lightfoot)

Go first in the world, go forth with your fears
Remember a price must be paid
Be always too soon, be never too fast
At the time when all bets must be laid
Beware of the darkness, be kind to your children
Remember the woman who waits
And the house you live in will never fall down
If you pity the stranger who stands at your gate

When you're caught by the gale and you're full under sail
Beware of the dangers below
And the song that you sing should not be too sad
And be sure not to sing it too slow
Be calm in the face of all common disgraces
And know what theyre doing it for
And the house you live in will never fall down
If you pity the stranger who stands at your door

When you're out on the road and feeling quite lost
Consider the burden of fame
And he who is wise will not criticize
When other men fail at the game
Beware of strange faces and dark dingy places
Be careful while bending the law
And the house you live in will never fall down
If you pity the stranger who stands at your door

When youre down in the dumps and not ready to deal
Decide what it is that you need
Is it money or love, is it learning to live
Or is it the mouth you must feed?
Be known as a man who will always be candid
On questions that do not relate
And the house you live in will never fall down
If you pity the stranger who stands at your gate
And the house you live in will never fall down
If you pity the stranger who stands at your gate

---

Next time, in France!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great trip and a safe journey.
I like your drawing of the migrating bird and the clothes blowing in the breeze.

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 suitcases? I couldn't do it! We just packed two large suitcases, two duffel bags and two handbags for a one-week trip! Eek! Good luck Eireann. Enjoy your last few days with your family + Brian! Have a safe flight to France. I cannot wait to see what your new life overseas will be like!

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful trip, and I hope you come back blogging again very soon - with a new perspective, a new take on life, and a new life to tell us about.

3:52 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

safe travels dear friend, how exciting that you will be in france when we next hear from you :)

4:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love that song (love gordon lightfoot - childhood memories here too) best of luck on your new adventure! (2 suitcases - wow!)

2:47 PM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

Safe travels to you. I can't wait to hear all about your French adventures.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you lots of luck in France. Your work is beautiful...looking forward to seeing what your new life brings...

2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HELLO,
found your blog by looking at who has been peeking in on mine. I really like alot of what you are posting! Will come back to visit soon... Have added you to my list, hope you don't mind...

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bon Voyage!

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful, safe trip to France. Cant wait to see what inspiration the new view will bring.

9:34 PM  
Blogger majamom said...

OMG*- I hope you show pics of your 2 suitcases! I cant even imagine where you'd begin.
Sending you good thoughts and prayers for smooth safe travels and a soft arrival in your new place.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Funky Finds said...

What a lovely surprise I received today in my mailbox...I love the sampler prize pack you sent me! There were some fabulous, as well as...interesting, items included! Thanks so much!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Austen said...

Safe travels and good luck! I can't wait to hear about life in France. I hope you have a ball!

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home